Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Nativity Scene

One of my great debates is should we / can we have a nativity scene. We are in a country which many people worship idols be them as a picture or cast in metal or plaster or carved in stone. Exodus 20:4 tells us not to have idols. My freinds here would be the first to say, "You are a Christian you are not supposed to have an Idol in your home!"

But yet... I do want a nativity scean, it helps me picture the primary reason of Christmas, God's son coming to earth as a person, just like me. God gave this gift and I want others to see that my home honors Jesus too.

So while we do not plan to have a Christmas tree this year, or fake snow, we will have a nativity scene.

People can come to my house and I can tell them its there to remind me to Jesus. I am not worshiping it, laying flowers in honor or burning incense. It is like a picture of your mom on the wall, you don't worship it but it helps to remind you of where you came from.

Recently this news article talks about leaders of other religions encouraging the celebration of Christmas... but then would I also have to encourage them to celebrate their holidays.

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN1041014220071210

Hands off Christmas, say religious leaders

LONDON (Reuters) - Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims joined Britain's equality watchdog Monday in urging Britons to enjoy Christmas without worrying about offending non-Christians.

"It's time to stop being daft about Christmas. It's fine to celebrate and it's fine for Christ to be star of the show," said Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

"Let's stop being silly about a Christian Christmas," he said, referring to a tendency to play down the traditional celebrations of the birth of Christ for fear of offending minorities in multicultural Britain.


***Special Update! We are sending out a mid term newsletter today to Ryan's parents, there they will send out to everyone. Pray they get there safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment